- A waxy, fat-like substance found in all cells of the body
- Transported throughout the body through the bloodstream
- Produced by the liver but also comes from the foods we eat, including trans fats, sugars, refined carbohydrates, and animal fats
Excess cholesterol in the body can be caused by lifestyle or genetic factors, and more risk factors equal more overall risk.
- High blood pressure
Cholesterol is a major controllable risk factor for coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke.
- Eat healthy
- Exercise regularly
- Control your weight
- Make healthy lifestyle choices
- Test your cholesterol regularly (higher levels = higher risk)